Cell Tower Poll

Moderators: satchmoa, Andrew Revering

Should companies be able to build structures visable from non-motorized wilderness lakes?

You may select 1 option

View results

Re: Cell Tower Poll

Postby VoyageurNorth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:25 pm

Was the vote for cell towers only? It stated structures and that covers a lot of items.

Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0
Tagscell tower, ely, bwca, boundary waters, att, boundary waters canoe area, cellular, service, towers, range, grand marais, minnesota

Postby Lynnie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:58 pm

I have mixed feeling on this. On MPR they mentioned building a shorter tower one that wouldn't need the blinking lights, that I could live with.. I just don't want to see the blinking lights at night from any towers. The only good I see from a tower is for emergency communications ONLY. The reason you go to the BWCA is to get away from all electronic's.
Thanks
Lynn From Duluth Minnestoa
Lynnie

Postby Adam Krause » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:05 pm

No
Adam Krause

Postby Todd Newton » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:07 pm

no cell towers please
Todd Newton

Postby Mindy W. E. » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Okay, well, might be nice in an emergency, though
Mindy W. E.

Postby Scott Lesnau » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Build it!! First time there is an emergency it will pay off
Scott Lesnau

Postby Waylon Wolfe » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:14 pm

one of the reasons i go is so i dont have to answer that damn thing
Waylon Wolfe

Postby Jon Dordal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:17 pm

ABSOLUTELY NOT. The point of being there is to be in solitude away from today's society and media. There are towers that will only provide service to outgoing emergency numbers such as 911. That is the ONLY thing I would consider.
Jon Dordal

Postby Brooke E. S. » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:20 pm

No
Brooke E. S.

Postby Mark Mason » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:21 pm

No way! If you have access to a cell phone then it is no longer a wilderness.
Mark Mason

Postby Brian Nelson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:22 pm

Definitely no
Brian Nelson

Postby VoyageurNorth » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:22 pm

Well, from what I hear, it is going up. Not as high as originally planned.

I wonder if this will help provide cell service to Snowbank? I know that Smitty's on Snowbank Resort doesn't get cell reception, which means their resort customers can't use their cell phones.
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Postby bwca » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:52 pm

ATT has brought it back to court trying to get the full height, I believe.

http://bwcaboard.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2389

For years I thought there was no way to get cell service at my cabin as I lose my Verizon signal about 30 miles before I get to my border lake. A few other cabin owners recently bought the little Verizon network extender box and they now get reception.
bwca
Site Admin

Referrals: 1

Postby Jeff Olson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:03 pm

No Towers. Period.
Jeff Olson

Postby Chuck Soukup » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:05 pm

This is dumb. The boundary waters are the only place i can go to get away from my wife and now you are trying to f#@k that up for me.
Chuck Soukup

Postby Justin Linnell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Don't really want to see any towers or lights out there myself. I go there to get away from it all....
Justin Linnell

Postby Emma Schwendeman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 pm

No way. Can you just imagine hearing cell phones ringing out there... count me out!
Emma Schwendeman

Postby Kya Marienfeld » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:10 pm

There are many other ways to communicate with the necessary emergency services from the boundary waters besides cell phones that don't require invasive, unnatural, and obtrusive cell towers. Towers would COMPLETELY change the character of the BWCA. As a guide, I can tell you my company took safety and security while out in the BWCA very seriously, but we've managed for 34 years without cell phones in the BWCA, and we'd be happy to continue that way. Wilderness is wilderness- not "the network."
Kya Marienfeld

Postby Taylor Mcginnis » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:10 pm

NO. The point of going out into nature is to get away from all that. Plus, building cell towers in the BWCA would only disturb the habitats of the wildlife that live there. If you don't want to take the risk, don't go camping.
Taylor Mcginnis

Postby Douglas T Edberg » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:12 pm

We live in the modern age and communication tools are a major part of it. While the site of cell towers to some might seem as a negative on the beauty of the BWCA. I would think that their would be good locations that would appease both sides of this discussion to allow for there installation.
Douglas T Edberg

Postby Timothy Greene » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Imagine seeing someone paddeling while on the phone. I see drivers doing this every day on the Beltway.We need to be more aware of our surrondings not less.
Timothy Greene

Postby Kathleene Erkenbrack » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Noooooo! Please don't do it. This is one of the main reasons to go there - otherwise people like me would have to go somewhere else...deeper into the woods where there is no service. I don't consider it actually "going into the wilds" if you can place/receive a phone call. Remember the days when you actually had to be home...and not on the other line...and run to make it to the phone in time to get that call. We were all okay then I think we'd continue to be ok without constantly being totally accessible.
Kathleene Erkenbrack

Postby Mike Giefer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:16 pm

No cell towers!!! That's the whole point of going there... to get away from society.
Mike Giefer

Postby Holly Lawson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:17 pm

No tower! That is the best part about going there. It's like the only place where my husband can't be glued to words with friends!
Holly Lawson

Postby Stephanie Rae » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Nooooo
Stephanie Rae

Postby John Imsdahl » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm

For every person made safer by cellphones, there will be 10 calls for people needing rescue that shouldn't have been out there in the first place but knew that bail out was just a phone call away. That being said I am not nearly as concerned with cell phone towers as I am with mining.
John Imsdahl

Postby Mark Bryan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Somebody screws up my night sky in the boundary waters with red blinky lit cell towers Im gonna have to take a road trip to put a foot
Up someone's @$$!!!!!! Just fair warning.
Mark Bryan

Postby Nardz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:14 pm

No way!!! Rent a satellite phone if you're that worried about making/receiving calls.
Nardz

Postby Terry » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:45 pm

No cell towers! The BWCA is a wilderness area where we can enjoy getting away from it all. There are means of communication already in place should you want them (SPOT, Satellite phones, etc). I know one of the AT&T guys who is pushing for this and he is very ignorant about our wilderness (he's never been there). He doesn't want the towers in the mountains where he hunts, yet he wants them in our wilderness. I live in an area that has recently become a State Recreation Area where canoeing and kayaking is big. We have a tower at the edge that can be seen from throughout a good portion of our paddling area. It really takes away from the scenery.
Terry

Next

Return to Cell Towers in the BWCA