Update on Lorraine Anderson "The Wildflower Lady"

Moderator: satchmoa

Re: Update on Lorraine Anderson

Postby bwca » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:55 pm

Lorraine Adele Anderson, 73 of Grand Marais, MN died Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 26, 2009 at Cook County North Shore Hospital following a gallant battle against cancer.

Lorraine was born Feb. 9, 1936 in Minneapolis, MN to Adele and Loren Cahlander.

She married Warren Anderson Jul. 9, 1955 at Hennepin Methodist Church in Minneapolis, and received her bachelors degree with honors cum laude at the University of Minnesota in 1957.

Known by many as the "Wildflower Lady", Lorraine led a renaissance life. In recent years her passion of wildflowers was followed internationally on BoundaryWatersCanoeArea.com and seen locally in community gardens. She loved woodworking as seen in furniture she made, stairs she helped build on portages, her home she finished with her husband, and the log cabin she built with her children without the help of road access or electricity. Through the 70's, Lorraine had a leatherworking business, Leather Lor, making leather dolls, purses, puppets, and more. Her dolls were found in gift shops along the North Shore, including Lake Superior Trading Post and Pioneer Crafts. Lorraine was an accomplished author with "Leathercraft" published by Lerner, several magazine articles, and numerous self published books. Her most recent publication, "Wildflowers of Cook County", can be found on display at the Cook County Library.

Lorraine loved the North Shore and its wildlife. She participated in bird counts and enjoyed feeding the birds at her home. She met weekly with special friends for wildflower hikes. She participated in Superior Hiking Trail annual retreats, and planned several Isle Royale trips. She shared her love of nature through photography and handmade photo note cards.

Lorraine worked as a florist for many years at Bachman's, Malmborg's, and locally at Photo Art.

She is preceded in death by her parents, and her inlaws, Marguerite and Ludwig Anderson.

She is survived by her husband, Warren; brother, David of Burnsville, MN; sister, Marianne Borgeson of Annandale, MN; two daughters, Kristen Sobanja and Jennifer Fenwick of Grand Marais; and one son, Erik Anderson of Lakeville, MN; and five grandchildren, Jeremiah Yeary, Jeff Fenwick, Luke Fenwick of Grand Marais, MN, Kyle Sobanja of Minneapolis, MN, and Autumn Anderson, of Lakeville, MN.

A memorial service will be held Saturday, Dec. 5 at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Grand Marais at 11 a.m. Pastors Mark Ditmanson and Kristin Garey will officiate.

Gifts in memoriam will be accepted for the wildflower gardens at Chik-Wauk, Harbor Friends, Grand Marais Senior Center, and Cook County North Shore Hospital Hospice Fund through the Lorraine Anderson Memorial Fund, Grand Marais State Bank, PO Box 100, Grand Marais, MN 55604.
bwca
Site Admin

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 1

Re: Update on Lorraine Anderson "The Wildflower Lady"

Postby bwca » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Get a free "I Brake for Wildflowers" car magnet in memory of Lorraine. The magnet is full color and is about 8 1/2 x 11. They retail for $19.99 from the manufacturer, but you only pay $5 shipping.

ibrakeforwildflowers.jpg
ibrakeforwildflowers.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1684
bwca
Site Admin

Referrals: 1

Postby VoyageurNorth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Erik, I can't believe that I didn't find this post until now! I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I never met her but I know she loved wild flowers & wild plants, just by the info & pictures you put on this site.

I guess with being out of Ely and in Florida and Jamaica until just before Christmas, I didn't visit the canoeing sites as much & I missed it. :-(

I'd like to get one of the bumper stickers magnets if you would send me one. Should I pay you via PayPal?

Lynn at VNO
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Referrals: 0

Postby bwca » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:36 am

Happy Birthday Mom. We miss you!
bwca
Site Admin