Swanson's Lodge, Hungry Jack Lake, Gunflint Trail

Moderator: satchmoa

Re: Swanson's Lodge, Hungry Jack Lake, Gunflint Trail

Postby HungryJack-Rich » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:22 am

The fellow holding the big Lake Trout, above, is Dave Clark. Dave was born in New York State. How he happened to end up in the Grand Marais/Gunflint Trail area, I do not know. Dave guided for Swanson's Lodge in the early 1940s. At the time he lived in a small cabin on nearby Road Lake with his wife, Ann, and two children, Marsha and Marty.

In the winter, Dave ran a trap line. I remember that he had a shack on Rose Lake just south of the stream that emptied Rose into Arrow Lake. That shack is long-gone. Since all winter travel in those days was on snowshoe, it would take a couple of days to run his line, and he would spend the night in the shack.

Dave sold the Road Lake cabin to my parents in 1944, and subsequently bought Rockwood Lodge on Poplar Lake. He and Ann operated Rockwood Lodge for many years. He later owned Borderland Lodge on the north side of the American shore of Gunflint Lake and, still later, owned a motel in Grand Marais.

Dave was an excellent guide, which is how my dad met him when we stayed at Swanson's Lodge in 1944. He was an excellent woodsman. I have many photos of him taken by my father, and I don't think there is more that one or two that show him without a cigarette in his mouth.
HungryJack-Rich

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Postby roland1591 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:48 am

I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.
roland1591

Postby bwca » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Thanks for sharing HungryJack-Rich. It would be great if you could post some of your dad's old photos.
bwca
Site Admin

Referrals: 1

Postby HungryJack-Rich » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Some time ago I posted quite a number of photos from Dad's collection here - https://picasaweb.google.com/FinkFamilyAlbum - These are photos from the Gunflint Trail area and the BWCA with a couple from Quetico.
HungryJack-Rich

Return to Historical Sites & Characters