Archive Messages - Snowbank Lake

Moderator: satchmoa

Archive Messages - Snowbank Lake

Postby bwca » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:50 pm

1 scarlsonusa 2005-12-27 12:12
Years ago I visited Snowbank Lake in the winter and portaged from one lake to another. During this portage I discovered a very nicely groomed cross country skiing trail which led to a cross country skiing lodge. Would anyone have any information on which lodge this is?

Do they allow snowshoeing in this area?

I believe the portgage was between Snowbank Lake and Flash Lake.
Thanks for your help?
bwca
Site Admin

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 4

Postby bwca » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:51 pm

2 paddlerjimmy 2006-01-03 17:12
I believe your ar talking about the Snowbank Trail.

"The trail winds about 25 miles along the shorelines of Snowbank and Disappointment Lakes. Side trails spur off to Flash Lake on the west and to the Old Pines Loop on the east. The trails offer some of the most scenic hiking terrain in the area. Rock outcroppings, pine stands, shoreline bluffs and abundant wildlife mark the character of the trail."
bwca
Site Admin

Referrals: 4

Postby finnbay » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 pm

The groomed part stumps me a little. The Snowbank Trail is not groomed, although there are parts of it on the west side of Snowbank Lake that get skied. Years ago I would cross Snowbank to Disappointment, go part way down the lake and cut to the east and pick up the Old Pines Loop. To my knowledge there were only a couple of us that ever skied that.

If the trail associated with Flash Lake, it could have been the Blackstone/Secret Trail. Doc Sommers (a very active skier) had a cabin right near there and it wouldn't surprise me if he had a number of trails groomed.

Besides that, the only groomed trails that I know of that would have been close to that would have been the Jasper Lake Trails to the west. Joe Baltich was big into x-country for awhile and kept many miles of trails cleared and tracked from Jasper Lodge. Some went near Judd and Ennis Lakes and it's possible a spur from that could have snaked it's way towards Flash Lake (Doc Sommers was his father-in-law).

Joe kept several kliks of trail lit with lanterns near the lodge for night skiing. Unfortunately, he didn't get enough skiing business to continue the endeavor and so he abandoned them a few years ago.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Referrals: 0

Return to Snowshoeing