Water Filtration

Moderator: satchmoa

Water Filtration

Postby PaddlerJimmy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:29 pm

For most of my life, I never filtered or boiled water in the BWCA. I have now started filtering and boiling.

What filters do you all recommend or use? How about the tablets?
PaddlerJimmy

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Postby L.T.sully » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:16 pm

I've began to use the bag filters.
The sad thing is one filter will last about 1 trip.
However it keeps it from being a pain to filter.
I always filter, after I got the runs on a trip last year.
L.T.sully

Postby finnbay » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:14 pm

I did a lot of research and had to pick a filter to take on an extended trip to Hudson Bay. Decided on the Katydyn Guide Pro. Simple reliable. We used it for 27 days straight pumping untold gallons through it (well, at least 4-5 gallons a day) and never had a problem. I brought an extra filter along but never had to use it. As a matter of fact, I've used it on several short trip after and till have the original filter on it. Pump works well.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Postby bwca » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:38 pm

On topic messages from the old board's archive:
1 paddlerjimmy 2005-07-18 14:58
What do you use for sterilizing your drinking water? Has anyone had experience with the steripen?

2 bogwalker 2005-07-19 09:00
I have a PUR (now Katadyn) Hiker. I have not used a steripen. I have used the hIker for many years, replaced the filter twice and love it. I admit I only use it on rivers and real shallow lakes. In mostlakes I go to the middle of the lake and drink directly.

3 PackMule 2005-07-23 01:09

My friend used the sweetwater for several years and it was always problematic, stopping up and then finaly breaking. He has since purchased the Katadyn hiker and it is great! I liked it so much that I bought one! I just filter and then treat with clorine drops...sweetwater makes a nice litle bottle of clorine that squeezes it out one drop at a time and has instructions of how many drops per gallon. The filter is small and works easily and I have filtered for a group of six. we use it quite often for 2 to 3 people and I use it solo.
bwca
Site Admin

Referrals: 1

Postby PaddlerJimmy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:29 am

What are you folks using now?
PaddlerJimmy

Re: Water Filtration

Postby ario » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Aqua Mira!

http://www.aquamira.com/

It works great, it's super light, and it won't ever clog. Two one-ounce bottles treat 30 gal of water. No iodine taste or other issues. I've used it a ton hiking and wouldn't hesitate a second to use it for paddling.
ario

Postby Eagantripper » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:24 pm

I have been using one of those xstream filter bottles for a few years now, and would not go without it. Carry it empty over the portage and scoop out a fresh drink on the other side. I also take it when I go trout fishing.
Mike
Eagantripper

Postby wilderness » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:46 pm

The replacement filters are $40!, but the Katadyn Hiker (http://www.rei.com/product/695233) is excellent.
•Filter physically removes particles, protozoa, and bacteria down to 0.3 microns in size, including giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidium and others
•Glass-fiber element is pleated for increased surface area to handle silt and muddy water
•Activated-carbon core adsorbs chemicals and pesticides to improve taste of water
•Pre-filter at hose inlet filters to 150 microns, removing larger contaminants before they reach the main filter to increase its life span
•Quick-connect adapter sends the filtered water directly into your REI hydration pack or Nalgene® reservoir (both sold separately)
•Includes a carry sack and bottle adapter that fits most water bottles
Jeff
wilderness

Postby janjakk » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:15 am

PaddlerJimmy wrote:For most of my life, I never filtered or boiled water in the BWCA. I have now started filtering and boiling.

if i were you try the PUR filters ..
janjakk

Postby Ramkitten » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't know if outside links are permitted here, but I wrote an article comparing various types of water filtration, as well as various filters: Backcountry Water Purification.

Personally, I use the Hiker filter and did so on our recent Boundary Waters trip. (But long enough ago that we know we don't have giardia or any other water-borne goodies.) I've used it on an Appalachian Trail thru-hike also. No problems. I occasionally take out the filter and rinse it, which extends the life of the filter. I replaced it just once during that six-month hike.
Ramkitten

Postby GUEST » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Katadyn Hiker PRO

"Does its job (not for long), and it's expensive."

This is the third year we've used these replacement filters in the Katadyn Base Camp water filter. The Base Camp is an excellent idea; fill the bag and let gravity do the work.

The filters are advertised as: "Provides up to 200-gallon capacity (depending on water quality)" I'm guessing you'd only get 200-gallons with clean, city tap water.

The past 3 years we've gone into the BWCA with 8 people for 4 days. We bring the Base Camp filter with 2 replacement cartridges. Each cartridge lasts for perhaps 25-30 gallons (~ 10-12 refills of the Base Camp bag). The water in the BWCA generally has a red tint (iron?) and there are always a few microscopic bugs, but I would still hope a filter would last more than 25-30 gallons. I follow all the directions that come with the filter with the hope of extending its life, but it doesn't really help.

I'd give this filter 5 stars if it lasted for just 100 gallons or were half the current price of ~ $33 USD.

On the positive side, the filter works - no one has returned home with a water-borne illness.

http://tinyurl.com/katadynhikerpro

By Glibzorbnik (Corcoran, MN)

Postby Newhomeowner09 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm

I a filter on my refrigerator that has lasted almost a year. I'm beginning to think about changing it because that seems like a lot of water without it being changed. I'm in the same boat as other writers when it comes to price. No water filters seem to be cheap. Hopefully, I can find some one sale soon!
Newhomeowner09

Postby avbm1980 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:11 am

Water Filtration is the process by which, physical impurities, suspended particles are filtered. Different methods are used for filtration. These are Micron filters, Media filters, Sand Filters, Activated Carbon Filters, Dual Media Filters.
avbm1980

Postby viktorz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:31 am

PaddlerJimmy wrote:For most of my life, I never filtered or boiled water in the BWCA. I have now started filtering and boiling.

Use artesian water best of all ))
Last edited by viktorz on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
viktorz

Postby Koda » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:45 am

Best bet IMO is the Platypus CleanStream. I started using it in 2008 and it worked fine until my last trip (Sept. 2011) when it started to slow down. I figure it filtered 800-900 liters (rated at 1,500). I got a new filter element and am ready to go again in May.
Koda

Postby booklover1 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:49 am

Do you use a filter? We never used to use a filter in the BWCA but I have read that nowadays you should use one. 2 years ago we brought one to the BWCA and it was very difficult to use in terms of pumping the water through the filter.
booklover1

Postby schlabach » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:46 am

Will a standard water filter get rid of all the "nasties"?? How about the Katadyn Pro filter?
schlabach

Postby finnbay » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 am

As far as what you'll encounter in the BWCA/Quetico, yes! They work VERY well!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Postby Jacklinwarm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:44 am

If you want to learn all about the water filtration process. Then make your own water filter! Water purification is the process of removing undesirable chemicals, biological contaminants, suspended solids and gases from contaminated water.
Jacklinwarm

Return to Gear Discussion