Knife scissors for cutting fingernails, twine, thread ect. The
multitool works good as a fishhoo remover when fishing too. So what
if between the 2 tools I have 4 blades?
Art W

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: Knife

Postby sharonconnolly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 am

I carry 2 knives in my pocket (a penknife w/21/2" blade, and a stockmans knife with 2 3 1/2" blades) and a sheath knife on my belt (5" fixed knife) everywhere I go. When camping I will add a heavy Bowie style knife in my pack (works better than a hand ax in my opionion).
sharonconnolly

Postby Jaws » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:22 pm

I generally carry a small gerber folding knife in my front pocket and a Ontario Survival fixed blade knife on my belt. Like stated above, it's better to have and not need then need and not have. Even an average day hike can turn to disaster sometimes! I do agree that your brain is the most important thing to have but it alone isn't going to build my shelter, spear or fend off an odd bear.

I also carry a Gerber multitool, compass, waterproof matched and magnesium fire starter in my pack at all times!
Jaws

Postby Argonaut » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:23 am

I usually carry a multi tool in my pack and a quality pocket knife. i have carried sheath knives, but rather small practical ones like a Finnish Puuku type (similar to Mora knife but better quality) Can carve a new canoe paddle and have with a small hatchet and above mentioned knife. depends on what you want to do. I don't like large unweildly "Bowie" style knives. We are not in a knife fight, or military.

takes practice to sharpen and use a good knife. Read some of My fiend, Mors Kochanski's writing. He is very practical and experienced.
Argonaut

Postby Nort » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:56 pm

When I was a Menogyn guide I carried no knives. The only time I needed a knife was to spread peanut butter and jam. I could count on every camper having a deer knife on their belt and they were happy to lend it to me. They were responsible for cleaning it afterwards. Most of these camper knives were used to play Mumblety-peg (also known as mumbley-peg, mumblepeg, mumble-the-peg, mumbledepeg or mumble-de-peg). Those are the only uses for a knife, unless you are fishing or hunting.
Nort

Postby valentinogaremi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:09 am

High-Carbon Steel - Carbon Steel has been used in the making of blades for many years. Carbon steel blades are tough, can be very sharp, retain their sharp edge fairly well, and sharpen with little effort. They have a tendency to be brittle and can break under stress. Carbon steel blades discolor when they come in contact with foods that are high in acid, such as tomatoes and citrus fruit. The discoloration does not affect the quality of the knife. With proper care, discoloration and rusting of the blade can be avoided and it can be treated if it does occur. Wash and dry thoroughly after use. If the blade rusts, scour to remove rust and continue to use. A light polishing with fine grit steel wool or sandpaper can also be used to remove the stains and rust from the blade.
valentinogaremi

Previous

Return to Gear Discussion