2009 Best Trip Report Contest

Moderator: satchmoa

2009 Best Trip Report Contest

Postby bwca » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:59 am

Best Trip Report Contest

Have you visited the BWCA or Quetico some time in the past? Share a trip report, diary, or story and you may be a winner of a five day Kevlar canoe rental!

Rules:
    Everyone is welcome to participate, amateur or professional.
    There is no limit to the number of submissions.
    Submissions will be accepted through October 31st, 2009.
    If the story is copyrighted, you must be the rightful copyright owner.
    Authors retain the rights to their stories.

You are welcome, and encouraged to post photos with your trip report. Photographers retain the rights to their photographs. When posting, please refrain from posting HUGE image files. An ideal size is 640 x 480.

Entry:
To enter, simply post your trip report anywhere on the board where it is appropriate. Examples of appropriate categories include:
    Favorite 3-day Trips
    Favorite Extended Trips
    Trips with Children, Pets, and Physically Challenged
    Spring Trips / Iceout
    Winter Camping
    Dogsledding
    Areas (Including Trip Reports)

Judging:
This years contest will again be judged by Cliff Jacobson. Cliff is one of North America's most respected outdoors writers, wilderness guides, national and foreign consultants, and is the most published canoeing/camping writer of this century. He is a professional canoe guide and outfitter, a wilderness canoeing and camping consultant and the author of over a dozen top-selling books on camping and canoeing— numerous titles have been translated into Spanish, German, French and Turkish with sales approaching one million copies. His video, The Forgotten Skills, details the most important campcraft procedures.

Prize:
The contest winner will receive a five day Kevlar canoe rental courtesy of Voyageur North Outfitters. Like to ice fish? Your prize will also include 3 days 2 nights lodging for this Winter in your choice of Brainerd or Mille Lacs.
Your stories may also be featured on BoundaryWatersCanoeArea.com (http://www.bwca.cc).
bwca
Site Admin

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 4

Re: 2009 Best Trip Report Contest

Postby greggy82 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:52 pm

[i]This Labor Day Weekend trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wildress was the frist experience of such nature for me. I've been camping before, but nothing like this.

We started this extended trip on the Wednesday night before the weekend started; drove to Tofte, MN and stayed over night. We were able to hit the water early Thrusday morning to embark on an experience that will never be forgotten.

We landed on our sought out island camp site on Burnt Lake in the early afternoon hours, set up camp, and had hours of day light left to spare. This first day was one I'll never forget. It's not that I saw a bear or crossed paths with a moose, it's the first time in BWCAW feeling and experience that will never be forgotten.

Not a thing went wrong:

The weather was picture perfect. The Tofte, MN received a light frost before we arrived which helped with keeping the bugs away. I hear the bugs can be unbareable at times. Warm, mid 70's sun with and light cool breeze. Bright blue sky with white clouds randomly floating past.

The rain stayed a way, not a storm cloud for miles.

Plenty of food, water, relaxation and nautre...

We ended the trip on the Sunday just before Labor Day Monday. I even came away with a personal hiking stick; widdled and craved down by who other than...me.

That's pretty much how the trip was; soaking in every sound, sight, smell...never wanting to let it go.

Look back at your first experience; have you felt that exact way since? This was my first trip, that alone makes it a Best trip and I'm sure I'll never feel that way again.
[/i]
Attachments
IMG_1413.JPG
Burnt Lake; Labor Day Weekend 2009
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG
BW 2.jpg
greggy82

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: 2009 Best Trip Report Contest

Postby bworbust » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:18 pm

I spent 43 days in the BW, mostly solo. Friend left after 3 days, picked me up over a month later. Great time. The big fire happened, but I didn't see or hear anything about it until some rangers passed by and told me to put out my fire. I went in before the summer season started (late May '07) and we tipped the canoe in about 30 seconds (too much weight and the wind was furious). Cold!! Cameras/phones didnt work for awhile. After I dropped my friend off at Sawbill, I didnt see a person for a good two weeks. The fishing was uneventful and I ran out of toilet paper, but the wildlife was great and I came out with a mohawk. One of my favorite summers of all time. Only thing missing was a group of hot babes camping nearby.

11-08-2009 01;28;28PM.jpg

Beth Lake.jpg
Beth Lake

Beth Lake 2.jpg
Beth Lake

eagles over Beth Lake.jpg
Eagles over Beth Lake

Grace Lake.jpg
Grace Lake

no razor.jpg
No Razor

soaking wet.jpg