Eagle Mountain

Moderator: satchmoa

Eagle Mountain

Postby dbradbury » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:46 am

We plan on going to the highpoints of Mn, MI, IL, In, Ws between 6/14 and 6/18 2007. What can you tell me about Eagle Mountain? Can I camp there? What is some good lodging nearby?
dbradbury

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Postby leafwalker » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:16 pm

We hike it every year before or after a canoe trip. Done it many times. Lodging is not real close. Grand Marais or Tofte. An easy going (gravel road) 90 minutes or less away. Camping is available at Sawbill Lake or Crescent Lake (which is closer).
It (the part usually hiked) is about 3 1/2 miles to ithe top one way from the "Grade". Most is realtively easy assuming you have ankle support (hiking boots) for rocky areas. Self register day hiking permit.
There is backpack camping about 2 1/2-3 miles in. One is on a lake shore. Not used much except on some weekends. You need a permit for overnight use in the BWCA just like when canoeing in the BW.
The trail from the "Grade" is easy to follow up to the top. Nice overlooks near the top. The trail turns left to go to the overlooks and the top about 3 miles from the trailhead (when the lake shore turns). If you plan on continueing (turning right at that 3 mile spot on to near Brule Lake) you need a map and compass, energy, and two cars.
You will see other people especially on summer weekends when the tuorons are loose. Not as busy as some parts of the SHT on summer weekends. If it is June or July ( early August too) plan on mosquitoes.
I count on about a mile an hour with some loitering thrown in.
leafwalker

Permits

Postby Amber » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:20 am

I want to take a trip to Eagle Mountain. I am not sure what type of permit I need. Any info on it would be great.
Amber

Postby bwca » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:09 pm

If you wish to stay overnight, you will need to get an overnight permit. You can pick these up at ranger stations, from your outfitter, or online at bwcaw.org.

There are only two overnight permits issued for Eagle Mountain (Entry #79) per day, so you should plan ahead.

If you are only planning a day trip into Eagle Mountain, then you can fill out a day permit (no fee) at the entry point kiosk or at a ranger station. There are not limits to the day permits, but they can only be issued or self issued on the day of entry. Good lodging can be found in Lutsen, Tofte, Grand Marais, or just up the Gunflint Trail.

http://bwca.cc/bwcalodging.html
bwca
Site Admin

Referrals: 4

Re: Eagle Mountain

Postby ddahl44 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:56 am

We plan on hiking Eagle Mountain this weekend. Any info on the trail condition? Will we need anything other than hiking boots? Thanks.
ddahl44

Re: Eagle Mountain

Postby noyz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:53 pm

We want to hike up/down Eagle Mountain one day and do a canoe run the next day. Where would be the best place to camp and canoe from Eagle Mountain?
noyz

Return to Hiking