Moose Hunting

Moderator: satchmoa

Moose Hunting

Postby bigmatty » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:31 am

A friend and I were picked for zone 64 in the Minnesota moose hunt. Any tips for hunting in zone 64 of the BWCA?
bigmatty

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: Moose Hunting

Postby VoyageurNorth » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:47 pm

With the dwindling moose population, all I can say is good luck.
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Postby yimmits » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:02 pm

BigMatty,

There are lots of moose in Zone 64 if you are in the right areas. A buddy and I were in that zone last year during moose season hunting them with cameras, and we saw 17 moose in 5 days, including 6 different bulls. We saw and photographed moose every single day. I won't tell you where to go, because my dad got drawn to hunt the zone this year so I'll be going with him to help out and don't want to give away our "honey hole". Some tips for you:

1. Learn to call. Order "Gouthro's Moose Madness" DVD and watch nonstop until your hunt. It is worth the money.

2. Keep moving if you aren't seeing moose sign. The areas we were in were like cow pastures. If it doesn't look like moose are in the area, don't hunt there.

3. Know your limitations. Moose are huge and you need to get them out before they spoil. Back when I shot my BWCA moose we were 9 portages and 30 miles in. It took every last bit of strength for 3 of us to get him out. Any farther and we would have risked spoilage.

4. Hunt mornings and evenings and scout afternoons. Especially if it's hot.

5. Watch your gear weight but don't skimp on food. It's no fun being hungry for two weeks straight, and you are going to be burning a TON of calories every single day.

6. If you haven't started to work out yet, START NOW. You have one shot at this hunt, be prepared!!

7. Have fun and take as many pictures as you can. Every year since my hunt I have wished I could do it again. It was truly the most fun hunt of my life, and one of my greatest memories.

Good luck!! Work hard, hunt smart, and you will be successful!
yimmits

Postby finnbay » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Pretty good tips!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Postby GUEST » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:09 pm

There will not be a moose hunt in 2013. Read more and share your opinion on the moose decline:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2306&p=7855#p7855

Postby VoyageurNorth » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Not enough moose up in the Arrowhead to let the hunt go on for this year and most likely for quite a number more, if at all.
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Return to Hunting