How far?....

Moderator: satchmoa

How far?....

Postby Dooger » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:41 am

How far is it from Ely to the Echo Trail? Miles and/or Time?
Dooger

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: How far?....

Postby bwca » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:03 pm

It's very close. It pretty much starts at the outskirts of town.

Take highway 169 heading east through Ely leaving city limits .5 miles. Turn left (heading north/west) on county road 88 (Grant McMahon Blvd). Travel 1.8 miles, turn right (north) on county road 116 (Echo Trail).

Just to make things clear... the Echo Trail is a road, as are the Kawishiwi Trail, Arrowhead Trail, Sawbill Trail, Caribou Trail, and Gunflint Trail (many people think they are hiking paths due to the names).

Where are you looking to go?
bwca
Site Admin

Referrals: 4

Postby Dooger » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:57 am

Thanks....

I don't know if I should mention this or not, but I'm thinking about deer hunting in that area next year. My girlfriend and I want to come up this coming spring for a canoe trip and I just have the hunting trip in the back of my mind.

I've bought two books on the BWCAW and they both say that a permit is not needed to enter Sept. 30th-May1...is that still true?

What campgrounds/sites are close to the Echo Trail and accessible during November? Are they pay to camp sites and where would I pay...drop box?

If I wanted to hunt a particular area on the Echo Trail, could I just park right along the trail or are there only designated parking areas along the trail?

I did look at a map that showed the trail...the map came with the book. Thanks

What would be the best maps for me to buy? I want topo maps, but also want GPS grids. I know the USGS maps, but there's quite a few "local" topo map companies of the sort in your area. Which would be best for me?

Thanks...

P.S. I'm writing from MI and will be exploring the BWCAW for the first time in 2009. I should note that I'm from a remote area and have also hunted the Canadian Shield in the Lake of the Woods area...so I am quite experienced in Big Woods and Wilderness type adventures. The regulations/restrictions/camping regs/permits are what are getting to me with the planning of my trips to the area. It's overwhelming. Here in MI, I pick up a stack of camping permits every year and when I want to use one, I find a good spot to camp, fill out a permit, and staple/nail it to a collapsible post I carry with me and take it with me when I leave. That's all we have to do...easy as pie.
Dooger

Postby bwca » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:24 pm

Overnight permits are not necessary from 10/1 - 4/30. You will still need to fill out a day permit at your entry point (free). Here is some more details on permits:

http://www.bwca.cc/tripplanning/reservations.htm

For parking, I would not park right on the Echo Trail. Talk with your outfitter about the best places to park.

For maps, I would use McKenzie Maps:

http://www.bwca.cc/tripplanning/maps.htm
bwca
Site Admin

Referrals: 4

Postby VoyageurNorth » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:12 am

Deer hunting in the Arrowhead/BWCA area is some of the hardest & least productive in Minnesota. Basically this is because the deer are so wolf conscious that they are so wary they are hard to surprise. We do have a decent amount of deer but nothing like south of us.

However, if you want to hunt around Ely next season, the Echo Trail is your best bet.
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Postby Dooger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks....where would you go if you were me?

Would you think that the few little campgrounds on the Echo Trail would fill up quick?
Dooger

Postby VoyageurNorth » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 pm

I'm not sure if the Echo Trail is all one "area" or if it is two. You have to apply for your area first. I think the further you go up the less people inhabit the area but more deer are on the southern end, due to a lot of people who feed them.
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Postby Dooger » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks....

I'm pretty sure I don't have to apply though since it'll be in November.

I'll be in Ely for a few days next week!!!
Dooger

Postby VoyageurNorth » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:45 pm

I think if you want to shoot a doe, then you still have to apply for a doe tag. I haven't been deer hunting in almost 15 years, so I can't say for positive.

Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Return to Hunting