Vermilion Fishing Report

Moderator: satchmoa

Vermilion Fishing Report

Postby bwca » Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 am

5/19/08
From Terry Sjoberg of Ace Guide Service:

Hi Everybody,
The Walleye action on Lake Vermilion has been very good this week.
Despite some very erratic weather patterns the bite has been very consistent for me. Pike bay opened on Saturday morning and it looked just like it was opening day. Fish were being taken on a number of presentations over the weekend. Everything from jigs and minnows to slip bobbers, lindy rigs and crankbaits.

I had success pulling crankbaits on the flats and in the shallows.
There were a number of fishermen just drifting with the breeze and dragging jigs and lindy rigs and they were also catching fish. With all the traffic in Pike bay over the weekend, I had a tough time finding enough open areas to fish. The traffic should subside a bit in the coming days. The Walleyes will start to move out of the bay as the water temps rise and their food source starts to run out.

The Smallmouth bass are still off the bank in most areas. The first break close to their spawning areas, is the place to fish right now.
Soft plastics and jerkbaits are some of my favorite ways to catch them now. The Pike action has been good in the shallows bays where water temps are now in the low 50's. Spinnerbaits, spoons and soft plastic jerkbaits have been very effective for me this week.

Have a great week everybody and please remember to put some back!
Ace <*)))><

http://bwca.cc/activities/fishing/fishingreports.htm
bwca
Site Admin

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 4

Postby bwca » Tue May 27, 2008 11:33 am

From Terry Sjoberg 5/25/08

Hello everybody,
The Walleye action on Lake Vermilion is heating up. The post spawn is just about over and the Walleye are spreading out and looking for food.
I have had a great week, including a number of big fish in the 20+ range. I have been catching most of my fish this week on a jig and minnow.
Vertical jigging along the shoreline breaks and dragging a jig over the flats, have both paid some big dividends.

There is also some good action on Lindy rigs tipped with minnows or leaches. My best rig has been a 3ft snell with a single white bead and a #6 red hook. The shallow crank bite has gone way and we struggled earlier in the week, to catch a few fish on spinner rigs. The slip bobber action in the evening has also started to heat up this weekend.
Shoreline breaks and rockwalls, with deep water close by are a couple of my favorite locations for a little hot bobber action.

The Pike action has been very steady in many of the warmer back bays.
Spoons and spinnerbaits are two of my favorite presentation for those early season Pike Try the deep shoreline breaks in 8 to 14ft or look for new emergent vegetation in some of the warmer water in the smaller bays. Keep in mind that water temps are still cold. Use a little slower retrieve when you are tossing a spinnerbait. Try slow rolling them over and through the cover.

Have a great week everybody and please remember to put some back.
Ace <*)))><

Terry "Ace" Sjoberg.
Ace guide service.
On Beautiful Lake Vermilion
bwca
Site Admin

Postby bwca » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:41 am

From Terry Sjoberg 6/24/08

The summer weather has finally arrived here on Vermilion. Water temps are on the rise and may even reach the low 70's by the time this report is published. Main lake water temps are in the mid to upper 60's right now, and we are expecting air temps in the low 80's by the weekend.

The bug hatches have started in some of the smaller bays, however nothing in the mainlake as off the 24th. There are however a lot of mayfly larva in the bellies of the Walleyes that I have been catching this week. Soft bottom flats in 15 to 25ft are producing some good numbers of fish this week. The Walleyes are there in good numbers, gorging themselves on the emergent mayfly larva. Spinners, lindy rigs and jigs are still catching fish with live bait. I'm primarily using crawlers with all my livebait presentations right now.

The Smallmouth action is still hot and it should stay that way for at least another couple of weeks. Rocks, docks, weed lines, reeds and the shoreline rubble are all producing pretty good numbers right now.
Spinnerbaits, inline spinners, soft plastics, topwaters and cranks have all caught some fish for me this week. These fish are still spawning, so please handle them with care when you release them.

The Muskie action is still a little slow this week. That should improve as water temps rise into the upper 60's and lower 70's this weekend.
Small to medium sized bucktails, minnow style cranks and 1 to 2 oz spinnerbaits are good choices right now. Slow moving glide baits can be effective during midday and don't forget to throw a topwater once and a while, just for fun.

Ace <*)))><
bwca
Site Admin

Postby bwca » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:38 pm

7/7/08:

Hi everybody,
It's hard to believe that the 4th of July has come and gone already.
Our short summer season is half over already and I just started fishing a few short weeks ago.
The mayflies are hatching all over the east end this week, so most of the big bug hatches should be over soon. The Walleyes have been moving around alot chasing food and I expect them to be on their typical summer haunts very soon.

I'm having some success pulling blades on bottom bouncers this week.
Crawlers and leeches are both catching fish at about the same pace right now however I have caught most of my larger fish on crawlers. I'm fishing the bug hatch right now, concentrating on soft bottom flats in the mainlake. That bite won't last much longer however right now it's been pretty good for me. Look for the action to move to the mainlake reefs and points in the next few days. Lindy rigs and crawlers will be the ticket when they set up on their summer locations.

The Smallmouth action in the shallows has begun to slow a little. You can still get them there, however the fast moving horizontal presentations have become much less effective. Jigs and soft plastics have been catching more fish this week.
My go to baits have been senco's and 3 and 4 inch tubes. Rocks, docks and saddle areas in the mainlake have been good for me this week. Lots of smaller males, with an occasional big female has been the norm this week.

Muskies can be frustrating at times and this week has been one of those times. I'm starting to see a number of fish, however I haven't been able to set the hook into very many lately. Mainlake points and islands have been good for me this week. Bucktails, small gliders and "Big"
topwaters, have been moving most of my fish.

The early morning action has been slower than normal but I'm still moving fish in the shallows. The evening action on the rocks has been picking up with the rise in water temps this week. Mainlake temps are about 72 degrees right now, however we are expecting some cooler night time temps the rest of the week.

Ace <*)))><
bwca
Site Admin

Postby bwca » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:03 pm

7/28/08 Report:

The fishing has really picked up here on the Big V in the last few days.
The Walleye action out on the main lake has been very good since the end of the bug hatches. Mainlake reefs and gravel bars have seen a big increase in activity the last few days. Lindy rigs with 3 to 4ft snells, a single bead and a plain #6 hook have been very effective.
Depths of 18 to 30ft seem to be the most active during the day, however there has been some good action in shallow water, early and late in the day.

The Muskie action has been improving but it's still a little off. Most of my fish are coming in shallow water, especially during the daylight hours. I'm just not seeing many fish out on the mainlake humps so far this summer. Shoreline cover over hard bottom with reeds and cabbage have been by far the most productive locations.
Bucktails, gliders and shallow running crankbaits, have been my go to baits in recent days. There still hasn't been much of a topwater bite this summer. Water temps have been struggling to stay over the 70 degree mark.

The Bass action has been fantastic for both species this week. Shallow cover is all you need to find some great Largemouth action. The smallies have been on a very aggressive bite all over the east end this week. Reeds, rocks, docks, boulders, in-shore humps, saddle areas and mainlake points, have all been producing some great fishing. Crankbaits and soft plastics have been hot, however they are also hitting topwaters and 3/8oz spinnerbaits.

Ace <*)))><

bwca
Site Admin

Postby bwca » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:03 pm

8/5/08:

The last week on Vermilion has been fantastic for Walleyes. Mainlake humps and rockpiles, points and the deep shoreline breaks have all been producing some nice fish. Including a 28 incher I caught over the weekend. Most of my fish are coming on lindys tipped with a crawler. I have caught fish as deep as 30 and as shallow as 10ft in the last week.

There has also been some action in the mainlake basin trolling cranks.
It's not the full blown bite yet, however it's improving each time I go out. Water temps are still hanging around the low 70's and as they heat up, so will the crankbait action. Deep water around large mainlake structures or large mainlake flats from 20 to 35ft are the prime areas to look for these crankbait eating fish.

The Muskie action has been hot for the last couple of weeks and I see no reason for that to change. Big hair, jerkbaits and topwaters have all been moving some very large fish in recent days. Rocks, points, cabbage and the deep weedline have all been very active. Daytime or night time seems to be the right time. The August full moon period should be awesome this year. I know I'll be out there pounding the water to a froth.

Ace <*)))><

bwca
Site Admin

Postby bwca » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:07 am

8/12/08 Report:

The Walleye action continues to be very hot this week. Mainlake reefs, humps and the deep shoreline breaks, have all been producing some nice limits for me the past several days. There has also been some decent action on crankbaits trolled in the main basin areas of the lake. My best livebait presentation has been a lindy rig tipped with a crawler.
I'm using a 3ft snell, a single bead and a #6 hook. Hook colors really haven't made a difference to the Walleyes. I'm finding fish from 15 to 35ft, it depends mainly on the type of structure you are fishing.

The Muskie action has been very good most of the last week. Water temps have been hanging around the low to mid 70's most of the week. Mainlake humps and islands have been my go to areas, especially in the early morning and just before dark. The topwater action has really picked up for me lately during these low light periods. Gliders and bucktails have been effective during the daylight hours and I have also had some good success with minnow style crankbaits.

The full moon period is this week and that should make things even better. We can expect some good consistent weather for the next several days leading up to the full moon on the 16th. Watch for moon rise and moon set times and make an effort to be on the water during those moon times.
This is historically, one of the very best weeks of the summer to catch a big Muskie on Vermilion. So do what ever it takes to get some on the water time this week.

Ace <*)))><

bwca
Site Admin

Postby bwca » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:24 am

8/26/08 Report:

The Walleye action has been tough the last couple weeks here on the Big V. I have had some difficulty finding a good consistent pattern.
Erratic weather has been a big part of the problem however it goes a little deeper than that. There is just to much food in the system and it's been tough getting them to eat. Finding Walleyes hasn't been the problem, finding active Walleyes has been a major problem.

I have had some great days in the last couple weeks however, it's been tough having two great days in a row. Cranks one day, lindy rigs and crawlers the next.
The deep water crank bite should be in full swing very soon...I hope.
Lindy rigs and a crawler have been good for me on occasion. Deep rocks and mainlake flats have been off and on, the deep weed lines have produced some good fish in recent days, however nothing has been very dependable day in and day out.

The Muskie action on the other hand has been very good the last couple of weeks.
deep weed flats, mainlake islands and rock structures and saddle areas in the main basin, have all been producing some great fishing.
Bucktails, topwaters and glider style jerkbaits have been my go to baits. I have had several multi fish days over the last two weeks and things should get even better as we move into September.

Have a great holiday weekend everybody and please remember to put some back.

Ace <*)))><

bwca
Site Admin

Re: Vermilion Fishing Report

Postby AceGuide » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey guys, these are some very old reports. I will try and keep this updated starting in the spring with some timely reports from this upcoming open water season. The way this winter is going that might be a long time coming. :)

Stay warm!

"Ace"
Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
Ace guide service
On Beautiful Lake Vermilion
Muskies and More.
member Lake Vermilion guides league.
www.aceguideservice.com
AceGuide

Referrals: 0

Return to Fishing