Trout Fishing

Moderator: satchmoa

Trout Fishing

Postby GUEST » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:09 pm

Going to Trout Lake bwca again. If ,say, I wanted to catch one lake trout for dinner, while Im up there walleye fishing...and I dont have downriggers. Whats my best option?

Ive heard jig and sisco in 90 fow near the opening to West Bay.

I know next to nothing about Lake Trout fishing especially in summer.

I know the general areas where I see people out lake trout fishing, just dont know what would be the best method to fish for them without downriggers.

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: Trout Fishing

Postby finnbay » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Depends on how late in the summer you go. As the water warms and is unable to hold as much oxygen, the trout descend. After the first of July, I would expect you'd have to fish in at least 40-60 feet of water and at times, even deeper. Best way I've had luck with is to use either heavy spoons or 1 oz bucktail jigs using a jigging motion with both. Can only be used on mostly calm days. Windy days will not allow you to maintain the depth you need without letting out about 500 feet of line. Regular nylon line will stretch a lot with this much line out and it's tough to get a good hood set. I like to use a level wind and fire wire. I also tip my jigs with a large minnow like a shiner. Good luck!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Return to Fishing