Fishing #s to Insula

Moderator: satchmoa

Fishing #s to Insula

Postby ddunkman » Sun May 31, 2009 12:19 pm

I'm going into the numbered chain to Insula on June 15th. I love to fish, and I'm solo. Any suggestions for a first-timer to that route?
:wink:
Walking School Bus
ddunkman

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: Fishing #s to Insula

Postby finnbay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 am

The middle of June is always an interesting time to fish because the fish are past post-spawn and haven't really arrived in their summer haunts yet. Structure is the key, and most of the time, shoreline is your best bet. Hitting points, islands, troughs between islands can all be good - but the fish are usually more scattered than they'll be a couple of weeks after that. I really like to fish around points where the wind has been blowing into for a day or two. When I go solo, I usually have two rigs ready to go. If I'm moving from place to place I'll trail a Rapala 50 or so feet behind the canoe and travel in and out along shorelines and across points. If I find a place that looks interesting I'll have my second outfit out with either a jig and a leech or a Lindy Rig and crawler. You can cast, but I've had more luck dropping over the side of the canoe and either back paddling or drifting through the area I want to concentrate on.

The "Chain" has good structure all the way along the route. The entry into Hudson can be good and Insula is one of the favorites of the locals for catching walleyes that time of year. Good luck!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Postby ddunkman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks for the info!
Walking School Bus
ddunkman

Postby VoyageurNorth » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:03 am

I was going to put in my 2 cents, but I think Finnbay has it covered pretty well! :-)
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Postby ddunkman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:06 am

Thanks - my trip is 5-6-7 days, depending on how the weather is and my food hols out.
Walking School Bus
ddunkman

Postby ewokman1956 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:13 pm

How was your trip? give lots of details please. My son, his friend and I are going into the 4 lakes July 30th for a few days. Email me and maybe we can talk about doing a trip together next year as I have a hard time finding people around here that can go for a whole week. I'll fill you in with details later if you emeail me. ewokman1956@yahoo.com
ewokman1956

Return to Fishing