Fishing Help

Moderator: satchmoa

Fishing Help

Postby brxnivy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:07 am

I'm going to be in the Boundary Waters from May 9th-12th. I fished a lot as a kid, but haven't in the last 10 years or so since I got married and had young kids of my own. Now I'm going up with a group of friends and am getting different advice from everyone I talk to. I'm hoping to catch Northerns, Walleye and Smallmouth. And advice on bait/lures to use and rod/reel setups? Right now I have a Medium action rod with a spinning reel and 8lb test on it. I'm debating whether to get a 2nd rod and set it up differently. We are staying in a cabin and will fish mostly on the main lake but I'm hoping to do a couple of small portages to the smaller lakes in the area. Thanks for any help that can be provided.
brxnivy

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: Fishing Help

Postby finnbay » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:15 am

Look for the warmest water you can find, and current coming into a lake. Best bet on Snowbank is Pickeral Bay on the southeast corner of the lake. Medium action is fine. Minnows, with jigs or lindy rigs are in my opinion the most consistent producers early in the season.

I have a friend with a cabin on Snowbank and spent many openers there.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Postby brxnivy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:07 pm

Thanks. Is that something that will work for all species? Also, should I expect the fish to be in shallower water or down a little deeper? (or is that something I will just have to experiment with and see what works :)

Is 8lb line fine for anything I will be catching?
brxnivy

Postby finnbay » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:56 pm

8# test is fine. Most species will be in shallower water. This set up will work for walleyes and northerns. Will work for bass, too, but I've not caught many quite this early - usually another couple of weeks down the road.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Return to Fishing