Yahoo, 2 days to my Quetico trip!

Moderator: satchmoa

Yahoo, 2 days to my Quetico trip!

Postby VoyageurNorth » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:40 pm

I leave in 2 days! Yahoo!

Starting by getting up to Zup's Lodge on Lac La Croix, staying the night in one of their cabins, having a great steak dinner and then early the next day we get towed over to the west side of the park to explore some areas I haven't been & John either hasn't been or hasn't been to in several years. (he wants to fill in more of his "travel map" with red lines instead of blue lines which indicates he still has to see that area)

8 days & I'm getting nervous getting everything in shape here so it hopefully runs as smooth as possible while we are gone.

So, from the 4th to the 12th, I won't be posting anywhere. But afterwards, I'll try to post some kind of report.
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Postby VoyageurNorth » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Original story written by John, edited & typed up by Lynn
Every year Lynn and I do a big Quetico trip. I have a map on the counter marked with the places I have paddled and the places I have not yet paddled. I wanted to get back into Vernon & Delahey or stay on Sturgeon & work it over for fish, so that became our plan.

The quickest way to Sturgeon Lake is up the Maligne River. This historic river was once a highway used by the Natives and the French & English fur traders. I wanted to get up the river in one day so we took a jet boat to Zup’s Lodge on Lac La Croix and stayed overnight. We had a fantastic prime rib dinner & made plans to leave right after breakfast the next morning.

Day One – Maligne River We got dropped off at Twin Falls, which is a beautiful double waterfall at the mouth of the Maligne River. A short 24 rod portage took us around the falls & into the river. After about 1 ½ hours of paddling upstream, we came to a 4 rod portage into Tanner Lake. Tanner Lake is named after a famous trapper & hunter, James Tanner who had been captured by the Indians at the age of 5 and left them at the age of 30. The 4 rod portage is on the south side of May Island. On the north side is an old log & stone dam. There was a ranger cabin at this same location many years ago.

The upper part of the Maligne has 3 main portages; a 40 rod, a 78 rod and a 52 rod. Lynn & I had to use a rope on the canoe & pull up some fast water. After the last 52 rod portage it was now 2 pm so we stopped & had lunch. While we ate we looked out in the water & spotted an old boiler sticking out of the water. It was from a steam barge used in this area in the 1850’s.

With the winds coming from the southwest, we decided to keep paddling. We wanted to camp at one of the nice sandy beached campsites, but when we got there, it was already occupied. Disappointed, we grabbed a site on an island nearby. That evening we had a magnificent sunset. In this area there used to be a trading post cabin named, “McLarsen’s” and was owned by the Northwest Company. A famous Canadian painter, Paul Kane, had stayed at this cabin and many of his paintings depicted this area. He left a written record of his travels here in his book, “Wandering”.

Day Two, Etc to be added later.

Or if you want to read the whole thing & see pictures, go to: & go down towards the bottom of the page & click on http://www.VNorth.com and towards the bottom of the page click on http://www.vnorth.com/images/stories/VNO%20Gazette.pdf (I sure hope these links work!)
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Return to Quetico