Knife Lake - February 1991

Moderator: satchmoa

Knife Lake - February 1991

Postby finnbay » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:58 pm

Back in the days when I was in better shape my buddy Tom and I used to take some pretty good ski trips into the backcountry. '91 was the last time I skied into Knife. We took off from the Snowbank landing about 6:00 in the morning and crossed Snowbank, to Boot, to Ensign, Vera, Portage and finally on to Knife. We pulled into the Twin Sisters in front of Thunder Point about 4:00 and started to set up camp. My notes indicate it was about 16 miles. We pulled sleds. There was little snow on the way in. We had stretches on some of the portages that were bare. It snowed the last day and we had to break trail all the way out.

The next day, I skied to Thunder Point to fish in front of the west wall. This is a self portrait of me jigging:

I didn't have much action that day, so climbed Thunder Point and took some photos. The first is looking to the west past the Twin Sisters (where we camped) towards Dorothy's.

This one is looking to the south:

This is looking at Thunder Point from the opening to the South Arm:

Home, sweet home! We slept under a tarp on this trip. My notes tell me that two of the three nights we stayed it dipped past -20.

Did we catch any fish? You bet!

I'd sure like to make another trip up there, but will probably have to hire a dog team to do it again. Enjoy!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Knife

Postby Xplorer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:12 am

Ken,
Just saw this thread, nice pic's! I have put aside the planning for now for our winter Knife trip next year to concentrate on my trip with my brother to LLC the first week of June. I was able to get out and do quite a bit of skiiing pulling the pulk down a cleared gas pipeline near the house, with a 50# bag of corn inside. I am contemplating moving the trip to early March, mostly for the longer days and possibly warmer temps. The downside is there will be alot more ice to hand drill thru (suppose that would keep me warmed up tho :) Need to run it by my trip partner Brian.
45 days til LLC, need to start hiking around our loop with a loaded pack to get the back ready!!
Xplorer
Xplorer

Postby finnbay » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Xplorer,

You are a rambunctious type a fella. Good luck with your upcoming trip!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Finnbay

Postby Xplorer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:10 am

Well, the first trip around the loop (0.9 miles) with the 70# pack was successful, but I can feel it in my knee's this morning :lol: Its a good thing that I started now, cause that initial .55 mile portage to start the trip would've been a bugger with no training!
You have to love spring walks, frogs chirping in the waterholes, partridge drumming, woodcock peenting, and all the birds singing!!!!!!!
Xplorer
Xplorer

Return to Winter Camping