Heaters in Tents?

Moderator: satchmoa

Heaters in Tents?

Postby GUEST » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi all, I am wondering what is the best way to keep warm in dcold weather?
and i dont mean sleeping bags and long johns but other ways.. ?

--Gem

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: Heaters in Tents?

Postby GUEST » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:37 am

On the rare occasions we camp at sites that have electrical hookups, and it's going to be cold, we'll take an electric space heater (kept away from the tent walls of course!). Or, Coleman makes some fuel-powered heaters, which I would use only to heat the tent up before going to bed and to heat it up in the AM. The threat of carbon monoxide poisoning concerns me, though I suppose if you left windows open for ventilation, you might be ok. It's the "might" that would worry me!

I love to go camping when it's cold, but unfortunately my husband's a weenie about that! (Go figure, he's from the Northeast, and I'm from Alabama).

Susan in Georgia

Postby GUEST » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:21 pm

I cheat .. I use a wood burning stove in my tent.
The tent is made to accommodate a wood burning stove.
In addition to keeping the tent warm, there is a
platform to keep the coffee hot and a hot water tank
attached for on demand hot water while the fire is
burning and the coals are hot.

Happy camping
Scott

Postby GUEST » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Im with Scott ,/Wood is great /the 20 bucks it would cost for someone to pay for installing a pipe outlet and the cost of the little hardwood stick heater are nothing the damper is right at the stove very handy for heat control. the only time you would need to bring wood is in the desert.
/Kenneth
Last edited by GUEST on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby GUEST » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:41 pm

Good clothing cannot be overlooked when keeping warm. I've camped on mountains at 25 below zero with significant wind chills and never had any major problems because of dressing properly. I'm sure everyone has heard details about heat loss via your head etc. so I won't labor the point.

Second is nutrition. Your body is a furnace, it needs proper fuel and hydration to generate heat. No fuel, no energy. Hiking in cold weather is not the time to watch calories.

Exercise is important as well. Just sitting around doing nothing will turn down the bodies thermostat. Keep active until bedtime. Exercise also helps the body get tired so that you sleep better.

Personally I'd never trust those little stoves and propane things. How good can their "safety" switches really be when the whole unit costs 30 dollars?

But on the old fashioned side, a good campfire, in areas where you can still light them, is wonderful. If you're sleeping out in the open and can find a rock wall, build the fire around 8-10 feet away from the wall and sleep between the fire and the wall. You will chill off later on when the fire goes out so have the extra clothing handy.

Dennis in RI

Postby GUEST » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:42 pm

Greetings Dennis/ I agree and one thing more in those conditions /take care of your feet/We used a larger tent for warming and food preperation on mt. Washington /no tent heaters just good dry equipment //never above 0 and nights -40f /Kenneth

Postby GUEST » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:03 pm

The "serious" hunter/camper websites have several threads about cold weather base camps where they have a tipi style tent with a "stove jack" built in to the tent. This is a fire resistant section of the tent that seals off against the chimney of a wood burning stove - some of these stoves are quite lightweight and portable. Google "Titanium Goat" and you will find some examples.

David

Postby GUEST » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:22 am

we do not use tents when we are out camping with the dogs we use Wiggys brand sleeping which is go to -50
just my opinion

Postby GUEST » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:53 pm

I absolutely agree with you guys. If you have the right sleeping bag,
pad and clothes, you'll sleep warm. And it's healthier than heating
your tent. Eventually you have to come out of the tent. If it's THAT
cold, you're going to suffer unless you're using appropriate equipment.

Ratty

Postby GUEST » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:29 am

Hi Gem, I spend most winters camping in the Australian outback where nights are bitterly cold. Having tried all sorts of heating methods I have settled now for the best and cheapest: a simple Dual-Fuel Coleman pressure lamp. It gives excellent reading light and enough warmth to make it cosy in the tent. Of course, you have to remember that lamp consumes oxygen. So you have to leave a flap open to let some air in. For me it's perfect.
Klaus and Rusty

Postby finnbay » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Sorry, Ratty, with all due respect, I have to disagree with you. Good clothing, bag and such are a must under any conditions. But where I can bring a wood stove, ain't nuthin' finer. I've slept in temps past -40 with just a bag, under a tarp, in nylon and canvas tents and caves. See a couple of my stories in the Winter Camping forum on trips to Thomas Lake and Knife Lake. Regardless of how warm you are in your bag, you have to come out of that in the morning as well. Most of my trips have been 3-4 days into the BWCA or Quetico, most times during the shortest days of the year. Darkness is in place before 4:30 in the afternoon and lasts until 8:15 in the morning. That's a LONG night to spend in the bag. A stove and a Coleman lantern lets us 1. have supper at a decent time allowing us to fish until dark 2. dry out our clothes which is REALLY important in the constant effort to stay warm and 3. allows us some entertainment by playing cards or reading until 9:00 or so which really shortens the night. I toughed it for many years, but enjoy putting on warm pac boots in the morning these days as opposed to having to warm them up gradually with my feet until they were soft enough to put the liners back in!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Postby budzkee » Sun May 03, 2009 11:20 am

GUEST wrote:Hi all, I am wondering what is the best way to keep warm in dcold weather?
and i dont mean sleeping bags and long johns but other ways.. ?

--Gem

for me try the siera design tent, it actually good quality
budzkee

Return to Winter Camping