Yahoo, first trip of the year starts tomorrow!

Moderator: satchmoa

Yahoo, first trip of the year starts tomorrow!

Postby VoyageurNorth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 pm

Just finished packing for it, now going home to pack clothes. John is already packed.

Maybe a bit of rain/snow mix real early on Saturday but now it is supposed to be nice all the way to Tuesday!

Fire restrictions start on Monday, so we have a stove.
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

1829 East Sheridan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Re: Yahoo, first trip of the year starts tomorrow!

Postby VoyageurNorth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Went to Snake River and went into Bald Eagle. Camped on northeast site near portage into Gull. We did have a fire the first 2 nights, just not the last morning since that was the first day of fire restrictions. Got pretty cold the first night, weather forecast said about 25 degrees was predicted but I think it was colder than that on Bald Eagle, plus we had a good sized wind.

Took day trip to Gull & Pietro to see how they looked after the fire a few years ago. Checked out all the campsites on the southwest & southeast side of Bald Eagle, all the ones on Gull & Pietro. Pietro looked pretty dismal with all the burned trees but there are some small white pines showing around and of course since it is so early, the nearby bushes, etc didn't have leaves yet, just lots of buds.

Saw lots of ducks but most amazing was a trumpeter swan in between where Bald Eagle ends & Snake begins.

It was sitting on the water, all by itself (there were a few dark colored ducks nearby, along the shore) and it was calling/honking. Was definitely not a Canadian Goose honk, and I looked up the sound and color/shape/etc. of a trumpeter and it was one. It trumpeted/honked for about 3-4 minutes and we actually got closer to it than I thought we would. The ducks took off in flight and then the swan did too. Beautiful, very large, all white bird flying over our heads, flying northward.
Not to commercialize, but just to let you know I am one of those "outfitter types" :-)

Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Postby finnbay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Great report! Has to be one of the earliest on record! :D
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.snottymoose.com
finnbay

Postby VoyageurNorth » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:38 am

Entering Gull Lake (north of Bald Eagle Lake)

Campsite on Pietro Lake

Latrine on Pietro - middle campsite - in June this latrine should be surrounded by some bushes at least. :-)

Ely, Minnesota 55731
1-800-848-5530
VoyageurNorth

Return to Ely