Global warming destroying pristine Boundary Waters

Moderators: satchmoa, Andrew Revering

Global warming destroying pristine Boundary Waters

Postby PaddlerJimmy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:59 pm

Commentary: Global warming destroying pristine Boundary Waters
John Carroll, The Northwestern, Oskosh WI
Posted June 2, 2007

I just spent an afternoon with my good friend Terry, who used to be my canoeing partner in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA).

We were planning his August trip with his family, and he mentioned that the Gunflint Trail, one of the major routes in, is closed due to fires.

In fact, he mentioned that Long Island Lake, a major "interchange" for a number of routes, is in the middle of the affected area. We planned an entry for the Little Indian Sioux river, totally outside the fire zone. But who knows if the entry will be closed in August?

Dealing with nature is a crapshoot at best, but knowing that we have contributed to the drought conditions up there by our actions really irritates me.

This is the second year that the BWCA has been ravaged by fire, and it has destroyed some of the most beautiful landscapes known to man, or to me at least.

How long will it take before we learn that our actions have consequences?

We have brought this on ourselves with our love of gas-guzzling behemoths (speaking of which, has anybody checked the price of gas recently?) and we have ignored all the warnings about global warming causing climate change.

We've been content to turn a deaf ear when our president says the verdict is still out, and now we're paying the price.

In addition to the fires of the last few years, there was a 2002 windstorm that blew down every tree in its path. I was in the BWCA after the storm. Whole hillsides looked like grass after someone picks up the tablecloth following a picnic lunch.

Maybe we think we can ignore these fires because "they are in a wilderness area that only elite environmentalists use." But we ignore the larger problem of what's causing the fires to become so large at our peril.

Speaking as an ordinary citizen, albeit one who is heartbroken to see the loss of this habitat, I think it's time we take action to stop polluting our air.

It will take years to clear up the atmosphere, so it won't happen tomorrow.

But what better legacy could we leave our grandchildren?

Northwestern Community Columnist John Carroll is retired from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. He lives in the southernmost part of Winnebago County, just a few miles from the Waushara and Green Lake County lines on 40 acres with two dogs and four cats, and "loves country living-except for the slobs who dump their trash."
PaddlerJimmy

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 0

Postby bwca » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:02 pm

While I agree that global warming is an issue around the world and in the Boundary Waters (http://www.bwca.cc) ... there are some inconsistencies in the story.

1. The Gunflint Trail is NOT closed. Portions of the trail were closed during the Ham Lake Fire in May. The ENTIRE Gunflint Trail is now open. While, the fire was a huge fire, it was only a small percentage of the million-plus acre Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.

2. Long Island Lake was not in the fire. It was near the fire and entry points at Sawbill going to Long Island were closed for a period. The entry points have since reopened.

3. The derecho storm that hit the BWCA was not in 2002. Known as the July 4th Blowdown, the storm hit 7/4/99. While the majestic pines are gone in that area, the wilderness has had a "rebirth" and the woods are full with new trees. Similarly, regrowth has already begun in the Ham Lake Fire area, and last years Alpine Lake Fire area.

Don't let your fears get in the way of planning a wonderful vacation. Something "could" happen on any vacation, anywhere. During the Ham Lake Fire there were no injuries, and all permits were refunded.

As far as global warming affecting the BWCA, I have heard it is affecting bird migrations, insect activity, etc. Growing up there, I never saw or heard of wood ticks there. Now you have to watch out for them.
bwca
Site Admin

Referrals: 4

Dear Lord

Postby blockley » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:00 pm

PaddlerJimmy 'smarten' up. Global warming is not caused by man. Global warming and global cooling is caused by nature. Man cannot change the weather of the earth. Man cannot destroy the earth. Man cannot create the earth. Man can set aside areas of country so Al Gore cannot stop us from visiting there. Enjoy what God has given us, go camping, catch and eat fish, take a crap in the woods, dear Lord drink a bottle of scotch and wonder at the enormity of the heavens. Enjoy the bounty around you and don't think too much of mankind destroying things. Have a nice life PaddlerJimmy.

Len
blockley

Postby PaddlerJimmy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:43 pm

U.N. Report: Global Warming Man-Made

Here you go Len.

U.N. Report: Global Warming Man-Made
Friday, February 02, 2007, Associated Press

PARIS — Scientists from 113 countries issued a landmark report Friday saying they have little doubt global warming is caused by man, and predicting that hotter temperatures and rises in sea level will "continue for centuries" no matter how much humans control their pollution.

A top U.S. government scientist, Susan Solomon, said "there can be no question that the increase in greenhouse gases are dominated by human activities."

Environmental campaigners urged the United States and other industrial nations to significantly cut their emissions of greenhouse gases in response to the long-awaited report by Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249659,00.html
PaddlerJimmy

Return to Global Warming