Archive Posts

Moderator: satchmoa

Archive Posts

Postby bwca » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:34 pm

4 messages in topic
1 webmaster1120 2005-07-15 00:10
The debate of motor usage in the BWCA has raged for years. Many cry out that motor restrictions make the area not accessible and useable to everyone. Some resorts have said they can't survive without motor usage. On the otherhand many businesses, outfitters, and resorts say that business is better now than before the Boundary Waters legislation.

Different facets of the debate surface on a regular basis. Should more motorized permits be allowed? Should more restrictions be put in place? Should there be more enforcement and stiffer penalties?

Share your thoughts on motor usage in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.

2 clar0572 2005-11-06 19:17
Motorized boats are not needed in any part of the boundary waters. There are plenty of other lakes in Minnesota where these boaters can go for the same outdoor experience. People go to the boundary waters for peace and solitude in nature. They go to the BWCA to get away from the loud noises of everyday life. When you are in wilderness, you shouldn?t have to worry about the loud boats startling the large bull moose you are observing. You shouldn?t have to worry about the unexpected waves from the wake of a passing boat. You shouldn?t have to wake up in the morning to the unexpected rumbling of a motor. The BWCA is a place where you can escape into wilderness. There should be no roads, houses, resorts, and defiantly no motorized boats! The BWCA is a natural place, a place where you can confidently drink the water strait from the lake. The pollution these boats put into the water will only reduce water quality. In a wilderness area, you shouldn?t have to worry about water quality. Everything there should be naturally occurring and pure. In conclusion, bring your loud boats elsewhere, the BWCA doesn?t need them.

3 magdalene 2006-01-03 21:03
I agree. Motors are not necessary, nor are they desired. We need to protect this beautiful area. There are plenty of lakes in Minnesota, as well as in Cook, Lake, and St Louis Counties where the BWCA is that allow boat usage.

4 Tick 2006-03-05 19:38
There's an old saying that is quite simple and to the point. "Don't fix what isn't broken'.

There are just a handful of lakes that allow restricted motor use. It's not the end of the world. It's been this way since 1978 and has been working fine until the newbies started visiting the B-Dub.

If you dislike motors so much, why not travel non motor routes? Lord knows there are hundreds of non motor routes and entry points. It's really not that difficult to choose and use a non-motor route.

Why aren't motors necessary? Personal agenda, perhaps?
I've been canoeing the B-Dub withg my father and Bob for nearly 30 years. They're both close to 70 years old now, anbd have been going in since they were in highschool. Now, we rely on the motor tow boats to get us to Ensign Lake where we'll paddle and camp for a week. In their old age and failing health, would you deny them access to the BWCA by eliminating motor use on the handful of lakes?

Have you ever paddled westward across Basswood from Prairie Portage? I doubt it.

To get away fom motor routes isn't all that difficult. I have my doubts that the people voicing displeasure with motor use have actually been in the B-Dub. Or on a limited basis.

We've never been swamped by a boat, and really don't pay attention to the motor sound. Then again, we paddle off the motor lakes anyway.

Strange too about water quality, still pretty pure motors or not. How has this affected the water quality? Even on lake Vermilion, I've dipped a mug into the lake and drank my fill.
bwca
Site Admin

Invitations sent: 0
Referrals: 1

Return to Motors, Limited Motors, or No Motors?